Christmas is one of my favorite holidays of the year. I just love the season, and the opportunity to feel the delightful spirit. Believe it or not, Christmas is enjoyable without snow and a fireplace. South Florida gives its residents the opportunity to wear sandals and shorts in the winter. Besides, a tropical Christmas is actually most enjoyable. All the same, a Christmas tree, homemade cookies, stockings, decorations, and parties are some of many things that contribute to our Christmas celebration. Above all, the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is what Christians treasure the most during the holiday season. Advent prepares our hearts for the birthday of the Messiah that had come 2,000 years ago. Now, I would like to share ways I like to enjoy the Christmas season.
Christmas book list
- . The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere
- A Cedar Cove Christmas by Debbie Macomber
- 1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber
- Legend of the Poinsettia by Tommie de Paola
- Twas The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clark Moore
- A Simple Christmas by Mike Huckabee
- The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg
- Chicken Soup for the Soul Christmas Treasury by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen
- The Gift of the Magi by O’Henry
- Angels At Christmas by Debbie Macomber
- Hercule Poirot’s Christmas by Agatha Christie
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas By Dr. Seuss
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck
- Evergreen Springs RaeAnne Thayne Those were some of many Christmas books that I had read in my of childhood and early adulthood.
Those were some of the many of the Christmas books that I had read in my childhood and early adulthood.
This is a suggestion for writers: Write a piece of Christmas fiction. I wrote a piece of Christmas fiction that still has yet to be published, and I am currently writing another one for publication. Both pieces share the value and meaning of Christmas, the birth of a Messiah that God had promised His people. My first novella is titled “The Christmas Gift”, and my protagonist discovers the beauty and joy that accompanies the celebration of the birthday of Jesus Christ as she embarks on a spiritual journey. The elements of Christmas and the advent of the season are juxtaposed to recreate the feelings of joy that comes with creating special memories at Christmas.
Also, when writing a piece of fiction or nonfiction find a Christmas muse. What is your source of inspiration for your piece? Use the Christmas story, DON’T retell the story. Please, that is a form of blasphemy. Rather, interweave into the plot. The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, The Nutcracker by Nussknacker und Mausekonig, and The Twelve Dyas of Christmas an English Christmas Carol are just a few examples.
As I mentioned in my previous post, relaxation is excellent for the mind as well as the body. Please take the time to relax during the holiday season. I know that may seem almost impossible with work, school, Christmas shopping, volunteer time, baking, cooking, decorating, parties, and community events. But, please take the time to do so. You will thank yourself for it. Remember that relaxation also helps you to enjoy your study of advent much more. Anyway, I am not an advocate of spending an endless amount of time in front of the television. But, I think it is okay to allow yourself to enjoy Christmas movies during this holiday season. I am more than happy to give you some suggestions. Don’t forget to read!
- Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas
- A Christmas Carol (1951)
- Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- White Christmas
- Snowed In At The House Of Mouse
- Mickey’s Once and Twice Upon A Christmas
- Frosty The Snowman
- Scrooge Gets an Oscar Odd Couple Season 1
- Christmas in Saigon 21 Jump Street Season 2
Holiday music is also a good way to unwind, and even keeps you in the spirit whether you write, read , or even clean.
- Bing Crosby
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Frank Sinatra
- Brenda lee
- Dean Martin
- Andy Williams
- Mariah Carey (90’s Christmas album)
- Burl Ives
- Gene Autry
- Jackson 5
- The Supremes
- Eartha Kitt
Give your time to others. Just as you receive Christmas gifts, you need to give to others. Remember, Jesus fed you when you were hungry. Decorate your home, set up a Christmas tree, go downtown for holiday events, look at Christmas lights, or just create your own holiday activities. General, but very fun ways to celebrate Christmas.